Tuesday, May 4, 2010

it's because i'm white isn't it?

The History of White People, yeah that's a random title. Even more random, the author of this book, Nell Irvin Painter is a black woman. Painter is pretty ballsy if you ask me, and I have to say I am impressed. This book is a history on the construct of the white race; the who, what, where, when, why and how of its origins, its evolution and change over time. It was so interesting, and I found the idea of Painter being black rather compelling.

Painter guides us through the entire history of white people, and she doesn't overly focus on slavery because so many different races and cultures were discriminated against. As we all know, there was a time when the Irish, Italians, Jews, and "others" were denigrated for their otherness; for not fitting the Anglo-Saxon ideal of whiteness. This book is a bit controversial, which I don't understand. White people write about different cultures and races ALL THE TIME. Why can't a black woman write about white people? YOU GO GIRL. I am so over this whole race thing.

Just keep an open mind while reading.

No comments: