Monday, September 20, 2010

mildly scary look into our future.


I have never really gotten into climatology. I use weather.com as my ultimate weather resource and never paid much mind to anything else. Enter, The Weather of the Future by climatologist Heidi Cullen who somehow made the subject of climate change extremely interesting (and terrifying).

Science has always bored me to tears, but Cullen explained CLEARLY the relationship of the earth's natural greenhouse gasses, including water vapor, methane, and the pivotal role of carbon dioxide, as the geo-historic regulator gas, which has directly effected the planet's temperature (I feel smarter by the way). I have known for a while now that we suck. We continue to release these gasses through the burning of oil, coal, and natural gas - which is terrible for our planet.

Cullen does direct the blame towards society, because we are at fault. For some reason, our human nature can only care about the bad things that happen presently, rather than what the future has in store. It's like we don't believe it, until we see it, apparently none of us believe in Santa Clause either. Yes, Cullen made this book entertaining enough to attract someone as uninterested in science as I am, but what am I going to do about this? What are We going to do?

No comments: