Monday, June 18, 2012

kali me ra!

I LOVE Greece. The mythology, the food, Uncle Jesse. Especially after my own trip to Greece last August, the Greek gods continue to intrigue me, as well as the poets. I’ve always just pretty much jumbled up Greek fact and fiction into one giant reality in my brain, which has always worked for me in the past with most things. I was a little disappointed to discover that even the poet’s lives are primarily fictional stories, but feel much better after reading Mary R. Lefkowitz’s second edition of The Lives of the Greek Poets.

(Athens)

(kicking it with the Greek gods)

The Lives of the Greek Poets has been on my reading list for a while. Author and scholar, Mary R. Lefkowitz revised her first edition from 1981, this year, including a number of scholarly updates, because that’s what scholars do. Lefkowitz begins at the beginning, describing how mythology was created, arguing that although the life stories of Greek poets have been known to be primarily fictional, there must be some truth to them.  As a girl who believes everything she reads or hears from Greek tour guides in Delphi and Athens, I prefer Lefkowitz‘s interesting (and well-researched, for you picky people) take on the Greeks.


(our very Greek, and very sweet tour guide)

No comments: