Tuesday, June 12, 2012

to snack or not to snack.


My little intro here has nothing to do with the book I'm reviewing today. Seeing as the book is about health, and I drank Shiraz by the gallons last night at Central Park's SummerStage concert with the manfriend. One of his friends got us into the VIP tent where we had the pleasure of indulging in a pretty decent booze selection and almost more importantly had a private porter potty. The band was Foster the People, who I am not super familiar with, but they put on a great show. And I don't think that was the wine talking. SummerStage has a bunch of concerts every week, some are free, and all are cheap. Those of you in the big city should really check it out.



That being said, summer is just around the corner. Which means it's time to stop staring at the pictures pinned to the fitness boards on Pinterest, and make some moves of our own. You can start by teaming up with Dr. Barbara Rolls and her science-based strategies for dropping the pounds. Now, don't let the last name make you a skeptic, Dr. Rolls is ALL about helping you get rid of yours.

Her latest book, The Ultimate Volumentrics Diet follows her two previous books on subject titled, The Volumetrics Weight-Control Plan and The Volumetrics Eating Plan, you may want to check those out also. Dr. Rolls' strategies include the most fundamental principle of weight management, calorie control and the calorie balance equation. Let's say it together now, in order to lose weight, you have to eat fewer calories than your body uses as fuel. How many times have we heard that one? A million. Maybe this time it will stick.


It has been taking me a while to get through this book. Almost four hundred pages of useful information that I'd rather read than skip is quite the accomplishment, Dr. Rolls. Personally I enjoyed the 'vegatable flavor boosters section'. I need all the help I can get in the veggie department, let's spice things up. Oh, and the 'how to get more from your fat' section was actually quite enlightening. I also found the different ways to add protein and fiber to every meal very useful, considering hot fries are one of my main food groups. Basically people, the mantra is to feel more full, by eating less. We can all get on board with that.

No comments: