Friday, June 28, 2013

bags, bags, bags.

All the ladies in the house can agree that purses are uber expensive. I only get a new one when it's absolutely necessary. Twice when I was in Europe my purse broke and I had to buy a new one. Once in Munich and once in London. As you can see, I wear them out, good to the last drop. Now I have an answer for all of our "ain't nobody got money for that" purse problems...well, Tricia Waddell has an answer in Best of Stitch: Bags to Sew.

(Interweave/F+W Media; $26.95)
You can purchase here.

Now a decade ago, ladies would be like oh hell no I am not sewing my own purse. Today, since the arrival of Pinterest and the economic decline, we are all about the DIY. For all the women who are independent, and broke, and cheap, and have way more time on their hands because they are broke and cheap. You have got to see the types of purses you can construct in Best of Stitch, it's really amazing. Waddell has included idiot-proof directions on how to sew messenger bags, zippy pouches, GARMENT BAGS, wallets, coin purses, clutches...ALL cuter than Vera Bradley (no offense). She has even included seven actual sewing templates for seven different styles of purses. Towards the back of the book Waddell gets nice and specific on how to create handles/straps, pockets, zippers, and includes other tips and tricks as well. I loved this collection, now I just have to pay someone to sew them up for me. (Just kidding).

No comments: