Monday, July 15, 2013

susan spungen’s best un-kept culinary secrets.

Since I recently purchased my first home (and by recent I mean we close at 3pm today), I am going to have to be a hostess for the first time. I’ve always been that friend that goes to all the gatherings, eats, drinks, and is very merry, yet rarely puts on parties myself because I’ve never had the space. In hopes that I do not completely suck at entertaining when the time comes, I recently read through Susan Spungen’s What’s a Hostess to Do?: 313 Ideas and Inspirations for Effortless Entertaining Including 121 Recipes for Spectacular Party Food. Whoa, that title is a mouthful, and so is this resource which is divided into the following eight chapters.  

The Gifted Hostess
Setting the Scene
The Cocktail Hour
The Buffet
The Dinner Party
Holidays and Other Special Days
Outdoor Parties
The Party’s Over

These are pretty self-explanatory beginning with how to put together a gathering including, what lists to make, invitations (even a DIY), and how to be a gracious hostess when handling guests, invited and uninvited. Spungen moves through the several different types of parties, giving tips and recipes on what to make. It’s the time of year for outdoor parties, which everyone loves to have. Spungen suggests what to grill, and gives tips on how to keep bugs away. She takes us to the finish line with The Party’s Over, so that the take down can be just as organized as the put up. A great resource for the hostess who wants to stress less and enjoy more.


No comments: