Tuesday, July 1, 2014

chicken soup for crying your eyes out.



I devoured Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul (the original) when I was in middle school. The stories inside would make me laugh, make me cry, and make me think. Which didn't happen a lot back then. Needless to say I'm a huge fan of the series. I love the concept of writing coming from all walks of life, who share something pretty huge in common. Their age, religion, occupation, health issues. Which leads me to my next review of a new Chicken Soup installment, Chicken Soup for the Soul:  Living with Alzheimer's and Other Dementias by Amy Newmark and Angela Timashenka Geiger. My grandfather had dementia and died two and a half years ago. My grandmother still cries, and I still miss him. This was an extremely comforting collection of stories written by family members and other care givers dealing with a disease that steals their loved ones from them, mentally and then physically. If you are one of those people who have lost someone you love to Alzheimer's or Dementia, you will cry your eyes out, let me tell you. It will stir up your own fond memories. For example, the first story took me back to the last time I saw my grandparents dance. Grandpa was in pretty bad shape, sitting down in a chair that had wheels on the bottom, and grandma was up on her feet swaying their hands back and forth. And when I think of that moment, the tears just come. Not necessarily because I'm sad, but because they got to have that last dance. And that is what this book is all about.

No comments: