Monday, April 4, 2016

you are what you think.

I believe I mentioned a few months ago that I joined a "bossy lady" group at my church for women entrepreneurs. We meet once a month and read a professional development book each month. March's book, discussed at Friday's meeting was Successful Women Think Differently: 9 Habits to Make You Happier, Healthier, and More Resilient by Valerie Burton.


There was a lot I liked about this book. I do believe that success in anything is mental over physical. If you think you can't do something, you're right. Burton developed 9 attainable habits to help you believe in yourself and achieve your goals, whether in relationships, your health, or your career. There were parts of the book that spoke to me more than others:

  • A story about a girl named Meredith who found herself working in such a pessimistic/toxic environment that she started questioning her talents made me think about my first year as a teacher. Meredith changed her environment, and so did I, and we are both better for it.

  • "Sometimes sticking it out is not the best option. Sometimes you need to push the resent button and start again."

  • Know your WHY.

  • "Take a step forward and use the resources that God has already put in your hands." USE YOUR TALENTS. God gave them to you for a reason. Those of you who are wondering if you should take the next step, if it feels right, if you're good at it, that's no coincidence.

  • Build a career based on your strengths. Surround yourself with positive people. Happy women are more successful. And most of all, DON'T LET FEAR KEEP YOU FROM BEING WHO YOU WANT TO BE.

There is so much more packed into this book. I highly recommend you read it to find the strategies and habits that speak to you.

No comments: